Legal Documents to Consider When You Seek In-Home Health Care

As our population ages, and more and more people require regular medical care, the demand for home health care services continues to rise. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, more than 1.5 million people were receiving home health care services in 2007, with an average of 315 days of care.

Home health offers many distinct advantages. Your loved one gets to stay in familiar and comfortable surroundings, allowing a greater sense of independence. Staying with a known routine in a familiar environment minimizes stress and anxiety, which can help improve health. In addition, because the attention is one-on-one, there is less likelihood that medications will not be properly administered or that required procedures or treatment will be neglected.

Before you bring in home health care, though, you want to execute certain documents, so that care providers know what to do in any situation that may arise. At the Law Office of Bonnie Lawston, in the Town of Huntington, NY, we have extensive experience helping people protect their rights and the rights of loved ones when in-home, assisted or nursing home care is required. We can work with you to make certain all your concerns are addressed, and that you have prepared and put in place all necessary documentation. Contact us by e-mail or call our office at 877-581-8498 for an appointment.

Durable Power of Attorney

A power of attorney allows you to designate a person who will act on your behalf if you are unable to do so, whether due to injury, illness or any other condition. You can create a power of attorney that goes into effect immediately, or limit it so that it only goes into effect if you have been declared incompetent or otherwise unable to manage your affairs. You can create a power of attorney for all decisions or limit it to specific issues, such as financial or legal matters.

Advance Medical Directive

An advance medical directive is essentially a health care power of attorney. You can use an advance directive to set forth who will make decisions regarding your health, and you can also specify whether certain types of treatment may be used, such as life support.


If you are unable to manage your affairs, and want to appoint someone else as a permanent representative, you can set up a guardianship. Your guardian will have a legal duty to act in your best interests, and will have the right to buy or sell property, pay bills, and take legal action on your behalf to protect your rights.

Contact Our Office

To learn more about how we can help you protect your rights when you need home health care, contact our office online or call us in Huntington Station at 877-581-8498.

Home Health Care Service Providers

If you are considering retaining the services of a home health care provider, contact Star Multi Care or call their offices at 877-920-0600 . Star Multi-Care offers a wide range of in-home medical and non-medical services, and has offices in New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Florida. If you or your loved ones spend winters in Florida, you can travel back and forth between your home in the north and your Florida home without an interruption in home health care services.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s